From Councilor Isaac Benton:
The next City Council meeting is Wednesday, January 18 at 5:00 pm in the Vincent Griego Chambers, basement level of City Hall: Agenda. (Note that this meeting is on a Wednesday due to the Monday holiday.)
This week, Councilors Pat Davis, Diane Gibson and I wrote a letter to Senators Martin Heinrich and Tom Udall expressing concerns about Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions, specifically with respect to Senator Session’s positions on police oversight policies within the Department of Justice and the impacts his administration as attorney general could have on ongoing reform efforts in Albuquerque. Read the press release and letter here.
Legislation of Interest
- R-16-147 Candelaria Farm Preserve (Benton) passed 8-0 at the last Council meeting. R-147 reaffirms that the Candelaria Farm Preserve is to be managed as a nature study area and wildlife preserve. It also directs the Open Space Division and Parks and Recreation Department to convene a technical advisory group and immediately begin the process of creating a new Resource Management Plan.
- R-17-153 Transfer Station Economic Impact Evaluation (Benton) passed 7-1 at the January 4 Council meeting and the Environmental Planning Commission subsequently deferred a hearing on the zone change until March. R-153 calls for an economic impact evaluation relating to the City’s proposed Solid Waste Transfer Station and Convenience Center at Comanche and Edith, to be completed before the City takes any further steps towards completion of the project.
- R-16-109 Comprehensive Plan Update (Jones, Benton) will have a second hearing at next week’s Council meeting. This is an update to long-standing regional growth policy and I encourage you to become familiar with it if you have not already. A draft of the ABC Comp Plan, including proposed changes, is available for review at the ABC-Z website. You have the opportunity to speak at City Council and can also send written comments to Crystal Ortega, Council Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, contact Andrew Webb at email@example.com or 768-3161.
- Project List
- Gabaldon/Leopoldo Road Improvements: Based on community feedback, Option 3 was selected for this project. Design is complete and funding for construction has been approved. An estimated start date will be provided upon selection of a contractor.
- Girard Boulevard Complete Streets Master Plan: This plan is expected to be implemented in Spring 2017! I have provided additional funds to address sidewalk deficiencies on Girard north of Lomas.
- 12th & Menaul Complete Street Improvements: The 12th Street phase of this project will be publicly bid for construction in early 2017.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
- State Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino’s Legislative Town Hall: Sunday, January 22 at 1 – 3 pm
- Free Classical Music Performances Downtown: First Wednesday of the month at 12:05 pm, September – May
- ABQ365 Events: Year-round events in Albuquerque!
- ABQtodo: More year-round events in Albuquerque!
- Southwest Bike Initiative: A new local nonprofit advancing walking, cycling and all forms of sustainable transportation to benefit society and improve people’s lives.
- ABC-Z Project: A draft of the Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO), which updates the City’s zoning code, is available for review and comment. Review the draft here. You may submit comments firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be additional opportunity to comment throughout the approval process at the Environmental Planning Commission and City Council.
- Boards and Commissions Vacancies: Several boards have vacancies – apply to serve!
City Councilor, District 2
My office receives many responses to the newsletter and I appreciate hearing from you! For tracking purposes, please change the subject line if you reply to this email.
Please send an email to email@example.com with “subscribe” or “unsubscribe” in the subject-line if you would like to be added to or removed from this newsletter list.