Albuquerque Community Foundation Accepting Applications for High School, Community College, and University Scholarships
Did you know that the Albuquerque Community Foundation offers 18 separate scholarship and student aid programs for New Mexico residents? Applications are now being accepted for these scholarship opportunities. Deadlines vary, so apply today! Visit: http://albuquerquefoundation.org/student-aid.aspx to apply online and to learn more about this community education program!
Bernalillo County Accepting Applications for Youth Sports Leagues at Reduced Fees
The County is now accepting applications for youth sports leagues, offering reduced prices to all kids in the City and County. The fee for registration is based on family income. The county will also offer reduced fees for after school programs and summer camps. Applications can be picked up at the County Sports Office, 111 Union Square SE, Ste. 200., or online at:www.bernco.gov
Neighborhood Association Meetings Across Town
· Holiday Park NA, Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 6:00 p.m., Holiday Park Community Center. E-mail: holidayparkneighborhood for more information.
· Southwest Alliance of Neighborhoods (SWAN), Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 6:00 p.m., Alamosa Community Center. E-mail: johnnyepena for more information.
· West Old Town NA, Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 6:00 p.m., Los Duranes Community Center. E-mail: bengpl150 for more information.
· Victory Hills NA, Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m., Loma Linda Community Center. E-mail: eebrecht for more information.
· District 7 Coalition of Neighborhoods, Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m., Heights YMCA. E-mail: davidh.d7 for more information.
· Downtown Neighborhoods Association, Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 6:45 p.m., Lew Wallace Elementary. E-mail: holly.siebert for more information.
· West Side Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (WSCONA), Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 7:00 p.m., Don Newton Taylor Ranch Community Center. E-mail: jfworrall for more information.
· Del Webb Mirehaven NA, Thursday, Feb. 8 at 5:30 p.m., Del Webb Mirehaven Amenities Center. E-mail: mnietoshogry for more information.
· Barelas NA, Thursday, Feb. 8 at 6:00 p.m., Barelas Community Center. E-mail: info for more information.
· South Valley Coalition of Neighborhoods, Thursday, Feb. 8 at 6:30 p.m., Bernalillo County Sheriff South Area Substation. E-mail:rmahoney01 for more information.
Library Branches Offer Storytime for Babies, Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers
Many of our city libraries offer terrific resources for parents, and the Storytime events are among the favorites. The weekly Storytime dates and times vary, but you can find one each week at nearly every branch. To learn more about Storytime for your little one, visit: www.abqlibrary.org
IDO Training Sessions, Study Halls, and Community Planning Area Trainings This Week
The City of Albuquerque wants to help you learn more about the new land use, zoning, and planning regulations that are part of the Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO), before it becomes effective on May 17. Come to a daytime or evening IDO training session at a location convenient to you. Learn more at:www.abc-zone.com
This week’s Community Planning Area (CPA) Training Sessions:
· For Mesa del Sol
Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 6:00 p.m., International School, 2660 Eastman Crossing SE
· For the North ABQ
Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 5:30 p.m., North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center
· For the Southwest Mesa
Thursday, Feb. 8 at 5:30 p.m., Alamosa Community Center
This week’s Training Session and Study Hall:
· Friday, Feb. 9, 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Plaza del Sol, 600 2nd St. NW, Basement Hearing Room
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Advisory Council Meeting This Week
If you’re interested in attending the next ADA Advisory Council Meeting, it’s happening Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 5:30 p.m., at the City County Building, 9th Floor, Council Committee Room. E-mail striplett if you want to learn more.
Know What Items To Recycle Each Week
Many city residents aren’t quite sure about what kinds of items can be recycled. According to the Solid Waste Department, the types of items that you SHOULD put into your blue recycle bin are:
· Milk/juice boxes
· Food boxes
· Household jugs
· Junk mail
· Paper egg cartons
· Aluminum cans
· Tin cans
· Plastic bottles
For more information on recycling, visit:http://www.cabq.gov/solidwaste/news/whats-in-your-recycle-cart-abq
The Difference Between Neighborhood Associations and Homeowner Associations
Beyond the obvious, there are many differences between neighborhood associations (NA) and homeowner associations (HOA); yet they also have several qualities in common. Visit the ONC’s Neighborhood Toolbox and brush up on your NA/HOA similarities and differences at: http://www.cabq.gov/office-of-neighborhood-coordination/news/the-difference-between-neighborhood-associations-homeowners-associations
Manager, Office of Neighborhood Coordination