North Valley Library to Be Renamed in Honor of Literary New Mexico Icon Rudolfo Anaya
Join residents of the North Valley neighborhoods and Bernalillo County as they rename the North Valley Library in honor of our state’s best-known literary icon, Rudolfo Anaya. Mr. Anaya, the renowned author of Bless Me, Última, Tortuga, Alburquerque, and many more, is as known for his writing as he is for his commitment to education and literacy. The renaming ceremony takes place Thursday, March 15 at 11:00 a.m., North Valley Library, 7704 2nd St. NW. Visit: www.bernco.gov for more information.
Community Policing Council (CPC) Meetings This Week
Been thinking about attending a CPC meeting and having a say in police policy and procedure? Now is your chance to get involved! Attend the CPC meeting in your area and make your ideas heard!
· Foothills Area Command CPC, Monday, March 12 at 6:00 p.m., Holiday Park Community Center
· Northeast Area Command CPC, Tuesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m., North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center
· CANCELED THIS MONTH: Southwest Area Command CPC.
· Southeast Area Command CPC, César Chávez Community Center.
For a complete schedule of all CPC dates, times, locations, and how to apply, visit: https://www.cabq.gov/police/community-policing-council
IRS Warns of Scam Phone Calls During Tax Season
With tax season in full swing, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Albuquerque Police Department (APD) are receiving numerous reports from residents about telephone scam attempts. The IRS reminds residents that they will never call you to demand immediate payment. Do not give out any personal information if you do answer the call, hang up immediately, and report the call to the IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting hotline at (800) 366-4484. For more information on potential IRS telephone scams and what you can do to protect yourself, visit: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urges-public-to-stay-alert-for-scam-phone-calls
Nominate an Amazing Volunteer in our Community
National Service Recognition Day honors those in our community who generously volunteer their time and energy to help others in need. This year’s ceremony honoring Albuquerque volunteers takes place Tuesday, April 3, and nominations for outstanding volunteers are now being accepted. To submit a nomination online, visit: https://www.cabq.gov/abq-volunteers/volunteer-of-the-year/volunteer-of-the-year-online-nomination
IDO Follow-Up Training Sessions at Plaza del Sol in March
The Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO) project team thanks everyone who participated in the overview trainings, study halls and office hours this past December through February. As a result of those trainings and study halls, there will be follow-up training sessions focused on specific IDO content. These trainings will all take place in the Basement Hearing Room, Plaza del Sol, 600 2nd St. NW. Free 2-hour parking is available.
· Zone Districts, Overlay Zones and Uses
Wednesday, March 21, 5:30 p.m.
Friday, March 23, 1:00 p.m.
· Development Standards
Friday, March 30 at 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 4 at 5:30 p.m.
· Admin & Enforcement (Review/Approval Processes)
Friday, April 6 at 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 18 at 5:30 p.m.
Cruising Task Force Community Outreach Event Invites Feedback and Ideas on Responsible “Cruising”
The public is cordially invited to attend the Cruising Task Force’s Community Outreach Event on Thursday, March 15, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m., Council Committee Room, City/County Building, 9th Floor. Please come and share your experiences and recommendations on how to promote responsible “cruising” and regulate irresponsible recreational driving in the City of Albuquerque. To learn more about the Cruising Task Force and find out how you can participate, e-mail: cquezada.
Clothing Donation Drive Benefits Kids in Need
This Saturday, March 17 is St. Patrick’s Day, and we encourage you to clean out your closets and donate clean, gently used clothing. This year’s Recyclothes donation event takes place at the Hinkle Family Fun Center, 12932 Indian School Rd. NE, from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., and benefits kids in need. Participants who bring a large bag(s) of clean, gently used clothes will receive a free mini golf pass. Visit: http://www.cabq.gov/solidwaste/events/recyclothes to learn more.
Neighborhood Association (NA) Meetings Across Town
· Alamosa NA, Monday, March 12 at 6:00 p.m. E-mail: jetbac for more information.
· Silver Hill NA, Monday, March 12 at 7:00 p.m., Heights Community Center. E-mail: ja.montalbano for more information.
· Semillas y Raices, Tuesday, March 13 at 6:00 p.m., Art Center Square (AC2). E-mail: s33dsnroots for more information.
· Wells Park NA, Tuesday, March 13 at 6:00 p.m., Wells Park Community Center. E-mail: wellsparkna for more information.
· Hodgin NA, Tuesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m., Hodgin Elementary. E-mail:hodginna for more information.
· Taylor Ranch NA, Wednesday, March 14 at 6:30 p.m., Don Newton Taylor Ranch Community Center. E-mail: president for more information.
· Huning Castle NA, Wednesday, March 14 at 7:00 p.m., Albuquerque Country Club Board Room. E-mail: hcnaalert for more information.
· North Wyoming NA, Wednesday, March 14 at 7:00 p.m., Risen Savior Catholic Community. E-mail: albqnwna for more information.
· Hawthorne Community Festival, Thursday, March 15 at 5:00 p.m., Hawthorne Elementary School. E-mail: laura.rodriguez for more information.
· Elder Homestead NA, Thursday, March 15 at 6:00 p.m., César Chávez Community Center. E-mail: carlpennington1004 for more information.
· Santa Barbara/Martineztown NA, Thursday, March 15 at 6:00 p.m., 1420 Edith NE. E-mail: sbmartineztown for more information.
· South Broadway NA, Thursday, March 15 at 6:00 p.m., South Broadway Cultural Center. E-mail: sbnaabq for more information.
· Westgate Heights NA, Thursday, March 15 at 6:00 p.m., 9901 Benavidez SW. E-mail: westgate9901 for more information.
· Cielito NA, Thursday, March 15 at 6:30 p.m., Mitchell School. E-mail:khattler for more information.
Irish Folk Guitar Performance at South Broadway Library Ushers in St. Patrick’s Day
Get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day with the Irish folk guitar music of Kevin Caffrey, this Friday, March 16 at 4:00 p.m. This free concert is open to the public and sponsored by Guitar New Mexico, a non-profit organization that fosters appreciation of classical guitar. To learn more, visit:www.guitarnewmexico.org
Know the Difference Between 911 and 242-COPS
The ONC has a video training on their YouTube channel to help you and your neighbors know when to call 911 and when to call 242-COPS. Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-yeUysk_1U&t=3s
Manager, Office of Neighborhood Coordination